Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Years Resolution


Happy New Year!
It's that time again, time to start making resolutions. When I was in my early 20's I tried stuff to make myself cool, calm, and collected. I'm going to be more spiritual, confident, calm, patient. I will do yoga and meditate every day. Then it was expanding that brain power. I'm going to learn how to do EVERYTHING! Read EVERYTHING!  Then it was about what I ate. I'M A VEGETARIAN!! These were all great and wonderful and usually forgotten by February, remembered in November, agonized over in December. For a while I just gave up. Then, a few years ago, I heard a friend of mine talking about her resolution and I had resolution envy. Her goal for the year was to do the dishes every night after dinner instead of leaving them for in the morning. But it's not flashy! Not huge! It's so EASY! Then it hit me. Duh! Resolutions don't have to mean big, giant changes. They can be something small, meaningful and attainable. Wow. And it only took me till I was 30 folks. So here it is, my small but meaningful, fully attainable, New Year's resolution. Ready???
I'm going to write thank you cards and notes.
Boom.
That's right.
Watch out.
The mail's a comin'.
It won't be hard to remember because this is something I already have tons of guilt about! Hooray!! So with this in mind I was trying to think of a craft that could go along with my resolution, you know, m'new thang. Anyway, Pinterest to the rescue. I found a post on how people sew designs on their gift tags. They sew little snowflakes on. It made me think of all the possibilities. There is the snowflakes, absolutely, then there's embroidering little flowers. For those who paint, that's an option. You could crochet tiny flowers or borders and superglue them on. I mean, HELLO. The options are endless. Google any of these ideas and see what you get. It's killer. All you need is a little card-stock to get started and you're in the game. Keep in mind, my resolution is NOT to make every single thank you card, THAT is a joke. But if I need something to keep my creative juices from overflowing and to save a little dough on my new hobby, this will do.


Okay, so here is an example of what I'm talking about. Here I just used a scrap piece of cardboard (cut to just under the size of an envelope) and superglued some crocheted flowers on. So simple. If you like them and want to try it out, here's the pattern for the flowers.

Crocheted Sock Yarn Flowers

Materials: Leftover sock yarn, 00/3.50MM crochet hook

Ch 3, sl st into 1st ch to form a ring
Working in the ring, 
(For bigger petals)
ch6 *sc, ch6, sc*repeat 6 times. 
(For smaller petals)
ch5 *sc, ch4, sc* repeat 8 times.
First ch 6












First ch6, sc which makes the first petal




All the petals made. Almost done.

  
Cut your yarn leaving enough to slip through your last loop on the hook. 
Cut the yarn.







Slipping the end through last loop on hook.















 
Pull tight to knot. 
Knotted.













Cut your ends until they are small enough to tuck behind your flower when you superglue it.












Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment